The Floating Homes Tour will return Fall 2019. Please return to this page in February 2019 for more information.
Summary of our September 2017 Tour: Over 650 people enjoyed gorgeous weather while touring 15 unique, colorful residences during our September 30 Tour.
Thanks to all the volunteers who, year after year, make the tour possible: Docents, Ramp Monitors, Bus Greeters, Emergency Response Safety Volunteers, the Set-Up and Clean-Up Teams, Registration Staff, Dock Monitors, Parking and Traffic Monitors, Transportation Organizers, and our fabulous Committee Members..
Special thanks to Sausalito Village and the Friends of the Marin City Library for providing so many volunteers again this year.
We’d also like to acknowledge our participating artists, authors, musicians, food vendors, nonprofits and sponsors. You represent our greater community, the spirit of Sausalito and southern Marin County — the environment that helps make our floating living so very special.
An extra special thank you goes to the homeowners whose generosity allows others to peek at the unique lifestyle we enjoy here. In opening your homes you share a precious asset, and we are grateful.
Color photos of previous tours can be viewed on Facebook.
The Floating Homes Tour is sponsored by the Floating Homes Association, a non-profit volunteer organization representing the owners and residents of floating homes within five Sausalito marinas. Additional information may be requested by leaving a message with the Floating Homes Association at (415) 332-1916.
- Homes are open at 11:00am and close at 4:00pm. Open docks and open homes are indicated with colorful flags.
- You will receive a colored wristband when you check in at the registration desk. This is your ticket to enter any of the open homes, so keep it safe.
- For your convenience, PARKING will be provided offsite. Free shuttle buses will transport you to Kappas Green, where all the open homes will be in easy walking distance. There is no tour parking in the Floating Homes Community. Parking instructions will be emailed to each advanced registrant.
- There is no smoking allowed on any of the docks.
- Please do not bring food or drinks into houseboats.
- Dogs are not allowed on the tour.
- Use caution when walking along the docks and especially when moving on and off each home.
- A few homeowners ask tourists to put on shoe coverings or to remove their shoes before entering their floating home. For that reason, we recommend wearing comfortable, slip-on shoes. High heeled shoes are not advisable. The tour does involve a bit of walking!
- We do not encourage the participation of children, but if you bring children along, remember they are your responsibility. Keep a close eye on them at all times.
- Port-a-potties are provided for your convenience. Their locations are shown on a map in the self-guided tour booklet you will receive when you arrive. Please don’t ask docents or homeowners to use their facilities.
- We want you to have a safe and enjoyable day. If you have any questions, problems or need any type of assistance, simply ask any one of the 200 volunteers on the tour.